Monday, February 16, 2009

"Aria" Teaching Bilingual Children

I found Richard Rodriguez's “Aria” to be very insightful. Hearing the personal experience from someone who actually went through the challenge of learning English as their primary language, from someone who had to give up the language that he was so comfortable with, really gave me some sense of understanding.

"What I needed to learn in school was that I had the right and the obligation-to speak the public language of los grillgos"

Rodriguez's argument is that assimilation must be pushed on bilingual children. Although it may be unpleasant and have some regretful consequences, he is clearly trying to show us that in order for him to be as successful with the English language as he is now, he had to be put in a situation where English became the only option.

I don't know if I entirely believe in that. I think his view may be a little harsh, although he knows more about it than I suppose I do right now. I do think that every American citizen should at least try to learn English. I think that denying that English isn't America's primary language is foolish. It almost seems to tie into the Codes of Power that Delpit talks about. If you keep telling bilingual children that learning English isn't something that's as important as preserving their own culture, you're going to set them up for failure.

"At last, seven years old, I came to believe what had been technically true since my birth: I was an American citizen."

The truth is that most people in America are going to need the English language. It's probably the most powerful tool that any one can really have. It provides access to information, a means for communicating exactly what you mean, and also an easier path to employment. Preserving your families culture is important, and I think it's what makes America an exciting place, BUT learning English is equally as important.

"Today I hear bilingual educators say that children lose a degree of 'individuality'
by becoming assimilated into public society."

I'm not sure what schools should do. I'm not sure what the “best”way to teach bilingual children is. I do believe that allowing them to remain bilingual is much more beneficial to them than trying to eliminate the first language. Allow them to have their private identity at home but allow them to perfect their public identity in school. People who know how to express their thoughts in more than one language have an advantage. They can think about things in many different ways, using many different phrases, but English has to be learned.

Because I'm positive that in my future teaching career I will have bilingual children in my classroom, I really hope to learn what's best for most children in their situation. I think it's important, not only for them educationally, but as Rodriguez says, having a “public identity” is important as well. Confidence can make a world of difference.

1 comment:

  1. Really nice job using Delpit to help you make sense of this. Did the Collier piece give you any tools to use when you are teaching in multilingual spaces??

    ReplyDelete